Thank you for offering to become a foster home for our organization! To be considered as a foster home for our organization, you must:
- Be 21 years of age or older.
- If you rent your home you must have consent from your landlord to have a dog.
- Have all dogs and cats in the home spayed or neutered, if they are 6 months or older, unless there are medical reasons for not doing so.
- Have all dogs in the home up to date on vaccinations.
- Agree to have a home visit done by one of our volunteers. The volunteer will need to see the areas of the home where the dog will be allowed and also visit with family members and current pets. Distance is a factor in whether or not the required home visit can be completed. We are a 100% volunteer run organization. Although we do have volunteer contacts in many areas, some areas may be difficult for us to locate a volunteer to conduct the home visit. We will let you know ASAP if your application needs to be denied due to our inability to find a volunteer to conduct the home visit.
You must also agree to the following conditions, which are included in the foster home agreement contract:
- Agree to have the dog wear a Designer Dog Rescue ID tag on its collar at all times when in public or outdoors.
- Agree to never allow the foster dog to be off leash when it is outdoors, unless it is in a securely fenced in area.
- Agree to have the foster dog reside in the home, not outside. The foster dog may NOT be left outdoors if you are not at home. This includes outdoor kennel runs.
- Agree to never allow foster dog to be left unattended with young children.
Our rescue organization is an all (unpaid) volunteer organization. For each application we receive it takes us approximately 3 hours to review, contact all personal and veterinary references, and make a decision on approval of it. Depending upon volunteer availability, this can take us several days to accomplish, especially when we receive many applications or if we have difficulties reaching references.